Date:
Tue, 18 Mar 2003 18:37:59 +0000
>Kathy Dettwyler probably has opinions on this also, but dentist Brian
>Palmer says that by not breastfeeding, which has not been done for two
>to three generations in some cultures, the arch of the mouth continues
>to develop too narrow and/or too short.  Remember, we all used to have
>enough room for all 32 teeth.  My brother and son-in-law are the only
>two people I personally know who have not had their wisdom teeth
>removed.

Hmmmm.....that says more about dental practice in the West than
anything else, surely.

FWIW I don't know anyone personally who has had their wisdom teeth removed!

UK dentistry is, I know, derided for its poor quality, and we British
have pretty awful teeth compared to many of you....so that should be
in the pot as well.

I am not saying that bottle feeding affects jaw development - I bet
it does - only that you can't link orthodontic fashions to feeding,
and also that evolutionary changes take more than 2-3 generations to
work through.

Heather Welford Neil
nct bfc
Newcastle upon Tyne UK