From:
Morgan Gallagher <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 12 Aug 2008 11:15:47 +0100
I too have been thinking about depressed mothers during this thread,
Marit. :-)

Two points I'd like to raise.

One, a depressed mother isn't always depressed with the baby, and this
isn't discussed often.  When depression and babies are mentioned, people
easily jump to PPD.  When, in fact, a lot of women have depression full
stop.  That they got pregnant and birthed, is just something that
happened during their depression.  So it is perfectly possible to be
extremely depressed, and not have a problem with the baby at all.  In
fact, the baby can be the area of joy and complete happiness, in and
around the depression with everything else.  I scored 23 on the
Edinburgh scale at points in my post-partum period - but I also scored
it before the baby was born!  But there was never any question of the
depression preventing excellent interaction with the baby.   I wasn't
depressed about having a baby, or with the baby, at all.  This is a
really important point if a mother is considering taking
anti-depressants, as the issue of unknown potential harm on residual use
of anti-Ds, is now not being balanced against risks to the baby from
lack of interaction with the mother.  So it's an important factor in
discussing depression in woman who happen to be mothers of newborns, as
opposed to women who are suffering from post-partum depression.

Secondly, and this is for you Marit - not a typewriter in sight!

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2007/03/070313150515.htm

A far more recent report on how mothers who are not interacting with the
baby, can be taught those cues and how to do it effectively.  Although
I'm not sure if there was any breastfeeding in this study cohort.  :-)

Morgan Gallagher

(In awe of Marit's English skills!)