From:
Heather Masaitis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 26 Oct 1995 21:03:33 -0700
Hello All,

Suggestions please:

Eight week old male growing well hurts his mother's nipples. Her
nipples are intact. She has a great milk supply. No yeast. The baby
nurses with purse lips and lower lip turned in. He has an exaggerated
gag reflex and therefore pushes mom's nipple forward. He spits up
frequently because he gags himself with his own fingers! He has never
been able to put his finger in his mouth and suck. He does not tolerate
an oral exam. It is quite incredible to see. I'm not sure
how he nurses at all.

I am looking for ways to desensitize his mouth or recondition his
ideas?

Nancy Masaitis BSN IBCLC