From:
Kimberly Pincus <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 2 Nov 1999 08:27:03 -0500
Denise Fisher wrote:

> 'Lifted' this from another list I'm on - thought you might all appreciate it.
>
> A handsome, middle aged man walked quietly into the cafe and sat
> down.  Before he ordered, he couldn't help but notice a group of younger
> men at the table next to him.  It was obvious they were making fun of
> something about him, and it wasn't until he remembered he was wearing
> a small pink ribbon on the lapel of his suit that he became aware of what
> the joke was all about.
>
> The man brushed off the reaction as ignorance, but the smirks began
> to get to  him.  He looked one of the rude men square in the eye, placed his
> hand beneath the ribbon and asked, quizzically, "This?". With that the
> men all began  to laugh out loud.  The man he addressed said, as he fought
> back laughter, "Hey, sorry man, but we were just commenting on how pretty
> your little ribbon  looks against your blue jacket!"
>
> The middle aged man calmly motioned for the joker to come over to
> his table, and invited him to sit down.  As uncomfortable as he was, the guy
> obliged, not  really sure why.
>
> In a soft voice, the middle aged man said, "I wear this ribbon to bring
> awareness about breast cancer.  I wear it in my mother's honor."
>
> "Oh,  sorry dude.  She died of breast cancer?"
>
> "No, she  didn't. She's alive and  well.   But her breasts nourished me as
> an infant, and were a soft resting place for  my  head when I was scared
> or lonely as a little boy. I'm very grateful for my mother's breasts, and
> her
> health."
>
> "Umm," the stranger replied, "yeah."
>
> "And I wear this ribbon to honor my wife," the middle aged man went on.
>
> "And she's okay, too?", the other guy asked"
>
> "Oh, yes. She's fine.  Her breasts have  been a great source of loving
> pleasure for both of us, and with them she nurtured  and nourished our
> beautiful daughter 23 years ago.  I am grateful for my wife's breasts, and
> for her health."
>
> "Uh huh.  And I guess you wear it to honor your daughter, also?"
>
> "No.  It's too late to honor my daughter by wearing it now.  My daughter
> died of breast cancer one month ago.  She thought she was too young
> to have breast  cancer, so when she accidentally noticed a small lump,
> she ignored it. She thought that since it wasn't painful, it must not be
> anything to worry about."
>
> Shaken and ashamed, the now sober stranger said, "Oh, man, I'm so sorry
> mister".
>
> "So, in my daughter's memory, too, I proudly wear this little ribbon,  which
> allows me the opportunity to enlighten others. Now, go home and talk to your
> wife and your daughters, your mother and your friends.  And here . . ."
>
> The middle aged man reached in his pocket and handed  the other man a little
> pink ribbon.
>
> The guy looked at it, slowly raised his head  and asked, "Can ya help
> me put it on?"

> [...]

Thank You for sending that it sure touched me, I'm going to copy it and
see if I can get me husband to start wearing one too. I always wear one
I'm a survivor, 2 years now. My mom also 4 years in Dec. and we are both
doing great thanks to advances in treatments available today.
Kim Pincus RN, IBCLC, LCCE, MOTHER of THREE, and Survivor.