From:
Chris Auer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 11 Dec 1997 08:32:25 EST
Renate,

Im behind in posts so you may have gotten enough input. But just in case...
since the ilca conference I have used clearsite hydrogel dressings (drsgs) on
three patients in a post-discharge clinic.  These were severe cracks.  Mothers
had to pump 2-3 weeks during their recovery.  Gauze hydrogel was specifically
not recommended by the certified wound therapist who spoke at ilca.  I also
don't recommend the amorphous hydrogel (ie, gel in a tube) b/c it is not
removeable, aside from wiping ir rubbing - something these women do not need
to do.  The gel can be cut into the size you need.  Its almost like a piece of
jello that lays over the wound.  It is then easily taken off during pumping
sessions.  She suggested keeping the rest in a zip lock bag in the frig to
keep it from drying out and the cool gel seems soothing to the moms.  It can
bereplaced with another cut gel after 1-3 days.  At the conference our
neonatologist attended this fall, an abstract was presented on the same
subject and it was reco that mom's with this much trauma probably have staph
growing and should also be on systemic antibiotics.  All three of the moms we
used it on are still b/f.  The first one went back to b/f too soon and had to
return to pumping b/c the crack was not healed enough.  There are other brands
of drsgs. we  tried.  They vary in thickness, ease of visualizing the wound
and cost.  You should be able to get samples.

Chris (cincinnati)