From:
Kathy Dettwyler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 24 Sep 1997 19:06:34 -0500
I went to a school book fair with Alex today, and there was a little chubby
toddler cardboard book, shrink wrapped with a baby bottle.  It was titled
"Read and Feed" and had on each page a picture of a baby and a hole where
the mouth was so you could insert the bottle into the hole.  I could see
inside, as it was shrink-wrapped, but did comment loudly to Alex that I
thought it was pretty stupid.  He rolled his eyes (he's only six!) and said
"Mom, they couldn't have a BREAST to go with the book!"   I said, "Why not?"
Katherine A. Dettwyler, Ph.D.
Associate Professor of Anthropology and Nutrition
Texas A&M University