Date:
Sun, 25 Jun 2006 15:15:11 EDT

In a message dated 6/22/2006 3:19:44 P.M. Central Daylight Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

Lee now writing:  Jan, I will  be very honest, I have more questions than
answers.  One reason for the  overproduction may be that the edematous moms get
off to a very bad start with  breastfeeding and go on to pump a lot before they
seek LC help, especially if  the baby is guzzling down 3 or 4 oz at a time
from the bottle.  OTOH, and  this is purely anecdotal, in my area it SEEMS to be
related to edema (caused  by lots of pitocin, IVs, epidurals?).  Maybe in the
future, we will have  studies/research regarding if overhydration can lead to
a superabundant milk  supply; I know that at the present many believe that
the opposite is  true.  Do you have any thoughts on that?  Do any other
Lactnetters?  I only have questions and suppositions!  BTW,  oversupply in my area is
something that I have noticed more of in the past few  years only.  I don’t
know why that change is the present  situation.>>

Hi Lee,

I'm a bit behind the 8 ball in getting back  to you with my thoughts on this
phenomenon.  I suspect that it isn't the  edema/excess IV fluids/Pitocin that
is causing the problem, but a reliance on  overpumping.  There are a lot of
moms that seem to want to pump early on --  much more than they would ever need
to.  I truly don't see a lot of  oversupply, though my guess is that more than
85% of our moms receive pit --  either induction or stimulation, and 90% get
an epidural (repeat C/Sections  excepted -- they get a spinal).  But perhaps
that is because we (I) tell  them to not pump unless absolutely necessary.
There is no reason for it  until they have gotten the breastfeeding off to a good
start, and then they only  need to pump a little bit to have a spare bottle
(one) in the fridge in case  they are out and about without the baby and can't
get home in time for a  breastfeed.

If anything, I concur with Jean when she  talks about the fact that there may
be delayed lactogenesis II with edema from  overhydration....

By the way, did anyone hear the news item a  week or so ago that said that
exposure to toxins in the environment was leading  to an increase of
insufficient mammary tissue -- that women who are in areas of  high exposure are at risk
of not developing enough functional breast  tissue.  So perhaps us seeing an
increase of IMS isn't all in our  heads!

AND (while I'm on a roll here):  today's  Chicago Tribune had a column by
Julie Deardorff (in the Q section for Trib fans)  that basically said yes,
breastfeeding is best, but we need to stop with the  pushing it already, and get
women to eat healthier during pregnancy, because if  the mother doesn't eat a
healthy diet during pregnancy, breastfeeding won't make  any difference anyway.

Here's just a tidbit:

<<Unfortunately, if women neglect their own nutrition and health,  they are
taking risks while the baby supposedly is safely protected in the womb.  And
the fetus' environment during those 266 critical days between conception and
birth could have a far greater impact on a child's future health than the
postnatal decision to use breast milk or formula.

In fact, by the time  the baby is sucking down milk or formula, certain adult
diseases already have  been programmed, thanks to both genes and the uterine
environment, say some  researchers.

Called the "fetal origins of disease," the theory holds that  the time in the
womb can influence whether we're thin or fat or susceptible to  depression.
It also can have an impact on the likelihood of developing heart  disease,
insulin resistance, osteoporosis and schizophrenia, according to work  published
last year in the journal Biology of the Neonate.>>

_http://www.chicagotribune.com/features/columnists/chi-0606250401jun25,1,25352
45.column?coll=chi-leisure-col_
(http://www.chicagotribune.com/features/columnists/chi-0606250401jun25,1,2535245.column?coll=chi-leisure-col)

While I certainly agree that we need to improve prenatal care, that  doesn't
eliminate the fact that moms need to breastfeeding, just for the health  of it.

Jan Barger, RN, MA, IBCLC, RLC
Wheaton IL

_Lactation Education  Consultants_
(http://www.lactationeducationconsultants.com/)