From:
Marit Olanders <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 12 Aug 2008 06:23:57 +0200
Fleur, I've also been thinking about depressed mothers as this
discussion has been going on. I agree that we didn't discuss
depressed mothers in the first place. The study you mention seems
intresting.
I was thinking about Margareta Berg Brodén, who has been working with
mother and child dyads with lacking symbiosis (which in turn can be
caused by mother's depression). I found a paper on pdf that shortly
describes Brodens work similar to her book Mor och barn i
Ingenmansland (translated to Danish but as far as I can see, not to
English). The title means "Mother and child in no man's land".
http://eric.ed.gov:80/ERICWebPortal/custom/portlets/recordDetails/
detailmini.jsp?
_nfpb=true&_&ERICExtSearch_SearchValue_0=ED275982&ERICExtSearch_SearchTy
pe_0=no&accno=ED275982
(The paper seems to have been typed on a typrewriter and the quality
could be better.)
  In the book there is a case study that isn't mentioned in the
paper, where a breastfeeding mother spends a whole afternoon at
Victoria gården, her baby at several times giving cues that it wanted
to be fed, and the mother just doesn't come around to doing it.  The
baby goes back to sleep for a while and so it goes on. The staff
works in a subtle way with the mothers to make them see the baby's
needs and respond to them, which is a tightrope act as these mothers
have very low self-esteem.
Mother-child dyads are taken in for treatment because as child shows
signs of not feeling well, it's the child that is the 'patient'
primarliy. It is fascinating to read about.
The behaviour by the described mother(s), to postpone breastfeeding
for different reasons, (like nappychanging or having coffee or
whatever, not smoking though) have I seen too in a superficially
"successful" breastfeeder that some time after realised she was
depressed.
What I wanted with this example was to say that I think Mother
Nature's capability to repair is absolutley fascinating, but I you
say that breastfed babies can't be neglected to a point where they
are affected negatively, then I doubt. But, agan, skilled help and
support can do a lot.
Phew.
Marit Olanders
editor of Amningsnytt, Sweden