Date:
Tue, 5 Aug 2003 07:56:21 EDT
If anyone is looking for a summary of enacted state legislation, there are a
few good sources in addition to the LLLI website:

"Selling Out Mothers and Babies: Marketing of Breastmilk Substitutes in the
USA" by NABA has the complete text of all enacted state breastfeeding
legislation through 7/22/01

"State Breastfeeding Legislation" from the US Breastfeeding Committee is an
issue paper available as a free download from www.usbreastfeeding.org. This is
an issue paper authored by our late friend Liz Baldwin that contains summary
explanations of the different types of state laws as well as a listing of all
laws as of 1/29/03

"Summary of State Breastfeeding Laws" from the Congressional Research Service
has the text of all enacted breastfeeding laws as of July 23, 2003 and can be
downloaded from:
www.house.gov/maloney/issues/breastfeeding/CRS_Report_on_State_Breastfeeding.pdf. This document was written on request of Rep Carolyn
Maloney (NY-14) who has just introduced her breastfeeding legislation once again
into Congress, HR2790. She also released another report from the Congressional
Research Service to help bolster her bill with Congress, entitled
"Breastfeeding: Impact on Health, Employment and Society" available to download from:
www.house.gov/maloney/issues/breastfeeding/CRS_Report_on_Benefits_of_Breastfee
ding.pdf.

During the US Breastfeeding Committee's meeting in Washington, DC, Rep
Maloney's legislative aide met with us and briefed members of the Legislative and
Policy Work Group on the newly filed bill. It has 4 parts: ensures that women
cannot be fired or discriminated against in the workplace for breastfeeding or
expressing milk, provides tax incentives to employers for providing pumping
facilities or hiring a lactation consultant, seeks minimum safety standards for
breast pumps, and allows breastfeeding equipment to be tax deductible. If you
wish to track this bill, use http://thomas.loc.gov/ which is the web site of
the Library of Congress and allows you to track any federal bills that have been
filed. Rep Maloney is looking for more sponsors of this bill. Feel free to
write to your federal Representative to Congress urging support of HR2790.
Senator Olympia Snowe has introduced senate bill S418 which is a bill to protect
breastfeeding that amends the Civil Rights Act of 1964.

And to top off all of this, many states have pending breastfeeding
legislation. Here in Massachusetts we have 5 breastfeeding bills that have been
introduced during the current legislative session, including one I am working on to
license IBCLCs.

NABA is cataloging all pending state breastfeeding legislation. If you know
of a bill that has been introduced into your state legislature and is currently
pending, please e-mail me so I can add it to the list of what's happening.

Marsha Walker, RN, IBCLC
Weston, MA