From:
Nikki Lee <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 9 Aug 2008 09:03:53 EDT
Dear Friends:

Karleen asks how we speak about formula to mothers.

Here's one example. I worked with a new mother in the hospital. It was her
3rd baby. We were talking about how long she had breastfed her other 2
children;  she hadn't made a year with either and wanted to go longer this time. I
asked  her about her disease history. Her babies had 2 grandparents (one from
each  side) with diabetes. This led easily into a discussion of the links between
 formula and diabetes. She didn't know about that connection. I encouraged
her not to believe me and to check on the Internet about it. We also  discussed
how to sustain breastfeeding.

I have become stronger about discussing this information. I think of my
friend's brother and his wife with 5 children, 2 of them under the age of  10 with
diabetes. No one ever told them about the connection with diabetes  if the
mother doesn't breastfeed.  They are my inspiration.

Formula sells itself as convenient. How convenient is it to have children
with diabetes?

warmly,

Nikki Lee RN, BSN, Mother of 2, MS, IBCLC, CCE, CIMI
craniosacral  therapy practitioner
_www.breastfeedingalwaysbest.com_ (http://www.breastfeedingalwaysbest.com/)
_www.myspace.com/adonicalee_ (http://www.myspace.com/adonicalee)

Read reviews on AOL Autos.