From:
Phyllis Adamson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 20 Jun 2004 23:12:57 -0700
> With one breathe we say babies were born to be breastfed but with the next
> breathe we are saying that of course there are certain diseases in which
> babies are not born to be breastfed.  If the Read et al paper on which
this
> news release was based was not so flawed, it wouldn't seem so jarring.
>

> *** Was just exactly what I was thinking about...
>
> Especially when the estimation of infant mortality is estimated to be "3%
of
> deaths for AIDS" : Where and why are 10 million children dying every year
?
> Lancet 2003, June 28, 2226-34. And 22% to diarrhoea, 21% to pneumonia, 33%
> to neonatal causes... Malnutrition being involved in about 50% of all
these
> deaths. And most of theses deaths could be prevented with exclusive
> breastfeeding.

From what I have read from opposing camps in the HIV/AIDS issue, you have
to carefully watch the mortality stats. Not all these deaths are directly
caused by HIV/AIDS.

The claim was that if the person with HIV/AIDS got pneumonia, or cancer, or
any other illness, and actually passed from that illness, the death was
added to the govt statistics as an HIV/AIDS death. It was not statistically
a death by pneumonia, or cancer, or whatever other.

They may have been susceptible to that illness because of their HIV/AIDS,
but I think it is important to note what is primary (the actual cause) and
what is secondary (the underlying illness, or catalyst, or whatever the
correct word is - help me out here).

Phyllis

--- Phyllis Adamson, IBCLC, RLC
--- Glendale, AZ, USA
--- Scanned by Norton AntiVirus with auto-updates