From:
Mary Wagner-Davis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 9 Mar 2008 17:38:52 -0700
<I am also VERY aware that especially in
times of crisis what is said and what is heard can be two very different
things.  So I request if you hear nasty things about me you give me the
benefit of the doubt and I will return the favour.>
Ditto.  Reading this thread, I thought of several things (well, at least
several).

One was along what Ronda said.  I can think of more than one occasion when a
mother has mis-heard what I said, or not heard it at all.  I give families
information in writing whenever I can because the challenges of early
parenting impact the brain.  I think of "Women's Ways of Knowing," too.  I
do my best to keep that in mind when I see mothers (and others).  Is the way
I'm communicating her way of knowing?  One thing I like about the clinic
where I work is there's someone else to see folks, not just me.

The other thing I'm thinking is that the IBCLC exam is rather entry level; a
way of saying that yes, so-and-so can be turned loose on the public.  Unlike
some professions, there isn't a state disciplinary board that investiages
complaints and decrees sanctions.  There are pros and cons to having such an
entity.  Compared to some other professions, we have rather stringent
requirements for renewing our certification.  For my teaching credentials, I
merely send in a cheque every 5 years; another I received more than 20 years
ago and it's sat in an envelope ever since; etc., etc.

I am also reminded of what Diane W said about looking around the room and
wondering who she'd pick to help her.

Many musings on a gorgeous Sunday afternoon,
Mary Wagner-Davis