From:
TJbrown103 <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 14 Dec 1997 09:42:49 EST
I have to agree with the sentiment that the Ferber method is child abuse.
While I understand that every parent's situation is different, and I agree
that we should not judge each other, I am far more concerned about where
Ferber, himself, is coming from with regard to his views on getting children
to sleep.  This mentality is truly scary.  I recently read an article about
getting babies to sleep, which of course mentioned the Ferber method.  They
also talked about various "gimmicks" parents use to get their kids to sleep
(for example, the thing you put on the crib which makes it vibrate like you're
in a car).  They discouraged parents from using these things, because you set
up a situation where the baby won't go to sleep without it.  Sounds reasonable
enough at first glance.  But the article went on to tell parents not to feed
their baby right before bed, etc., etc-I know we've all heard THAT one.  But
what really got me was the statement which included among other items viewed
as "crutches and gimmicks" rocking chairs.  I have always (well almost
always!) cherished that time rocking my children to sleep, and I wouldn't have
given that up for anything.  Interestingly, my youngest (3 yo), who got the
least amount of this due to time constraints and other young children, (and
yes, for a time he DID go to bed very easily)  is the one who now has to sleep
with us every night!  The best piece of advice I ever got while I was pregnant
came from a former supervisor when I was pregnant with my first child.  She
said that spoiling your child isn't when you rock them to sleep at night-it's
when you give them a glass of juice and they whine that they want a different
glass (!) and you jump up and get a different glass! I've been guilty of both!
But she was so right.  Everyone has to do what's best  for their own
situation, but I really have a problem with "encouraging" parents to distance
themselves from their kids, and ignore their needs.  Which is basically what
Ferber is doing.  And we wonder why this country has such a problem with child
abuse...I will get off my soapbox now while I still can!

Troy Brown