Date:
Tue, 16 Oct 2001 21:29:31 EDT
In a message dated 10/16/1 7:32:39 PM, Anne Nans writes:

<< Does anyone have any good guidelines for hand expression?  I feel this is
something I should touch on in my breastfeeding classes.  I teach
breastfeeding classes through a civilian hospital (hi, Debra Tobin) >>

Hi Anne, good point, we should be including this routinely, .....next time
you teach prenatal BF class, if you show the video called "Breastfeeding; A
Special Relationship", watch for the brief segment where the mom does hand
expression, she has obviously practiced and is very skilled and gets sprays
of milk.

...and I really like Sharon Knorr's suggestion about the class participants
using the balloons, we should be doing that! I think the rep would send us
some to use in class.

....the Ameda booklet "Breastfeeding Reference & Product Guide" has a few
paragraphs on hand expression, pgs 22-23.

...Cheryl Reutemann mentioned the LLLI tear off sheets, ....also, the Medela
tear off sheet on engorgement has instructions and pictures on the Marmet
method.

....and hand expression is in the book that we give out for prenatal BF class
"Breastfeeding A Parents Guide", pgs 130-131. See if that has what you are
looking for. If so, that along with the video and tear off sheet are some
good resources.

Debbie Tobin
RN BSN IBCLC LCCE
Springfield, Virginia USA
In the Fairfax County suburbs outside the Washington DC beltway