Date:
Sat, 10 May 2003 14:39:36 -0400
>     Some question about nipple length during breast feeding. Wasn't it
>Nowack and Erenberg and Smith who found the nipple twice as long during
>real-time ultrasound of breastfeeding?

But are we seeing optimal in those images?  "Tickle the baby's lower lip
with your nipple and pull the baby close" doesn't optimize the depth of the
latch, but it's pretty common advice.  What technique were the mothers in
that study using?

If we looked just at the US, we might say that engorgement is normal, but
Thailand, with its Three Sucklings (early, often, and correctly), would say
it absolutely isn't.

I'm not saying the nipple *isn't* elongated immediately following nursing.
I have no idea (yet).  But we've had so many glorious upsets of "known
facts" in this field, I'm just wondering if we've really *looked*, and
looked specifically at those moms who are nursing in total comfort right
from the start.  And I get such a kick out of it when the little bit that we
know to be true turns out not to be!  I'm gonna start watching...
--
Diane Wiessinger, MS, IBCLC  Ithaca, NY
www.wiessinger.baka.com