From:
Johnston <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 16 Oct 1997 09:16:58 +1000
Sandi from Newport RI asked:

<If the
mother were to be exposed to an environmental pollutant such as PCB's that
may stay stored in her fatty tissues for a long time, would that pollutent
be passed through into her breastmilk?  If she were to consume the
pollutent via her diet while she is breastfeeding, would it pass into her
milk?>
There was a big PBB (poly brominated biphenyl) contamination of dairy (and other) feed in Michigan in the 70s, when fire retardant chemicals were mistakenly added to animal feed at a mill.  The cows milk and meat were contaminated, some cattle and people showed severe symptoms.  I saw some of the sick cows at the Dairy Science Dept of MSU, and they were aweful.
My diet included some dairy and meat products, so I wondered what my situation was.  I had a baby in 1975, and because I was concerned about possible contamination in my milk I sent a sample off to be tested.  It came back clear - I don't know what I would have done if it was not.
There may be other Lactnetters who were in the Midwest at that time, who know if anyone tested had high levels of contamination in their milk, and what they did.
I don't think there are any easy answers.
Joy Johnston Midwife, IBCLC
Melbourne Australia