Date:
Mon, 4 Oct 2004 12:57:36 -0700
The hospital where I work gave the LC that I work for (I am a non-hospital contract employee) a couple of pages from "A supplement to Briefings on Credentialing 781/639-1872 7/04 from Clinical Privilege White Papers, Advisory Board

On page 5, under the sub-title CRC draft criteria, it states, "When a hospital recieves a request from an LC to become a member of the hospital staff or to work within the hospital at the request of a physician, patient, or patient's family member, or to do volunteer work within the hospital, it should not be the first time the hospital considers whether this type of practitioner should be granted privileges...

...The following draft criteria are intended to serve solely as a starting point for the development of an institutions's policy regarding this practice area.

 Minimum threshold criteria for requesting core privileges for LCs
Basic education and minimum formal training: Applicants must have graduated from an accredited school of nursing and hold current RN licensure.  In addition, applicant much have completed a formal LC education program and be certified as an LC and in cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR).  Certification in advanced cardiac life support (ACLS) and in pediatric advanced life support (PALS) is recommended.  Required previous experience:  Applicant must be able to demonstrate that they provided lactation care, education, and counseliong to at least 50 patients in the past 12 months."

My question is where did the recommendations for these requirements come from- was ILCA or IBLCE consulted?  I am astounded that RN is still the standard and IBCLC is not required!  One RN could work on the Mother-baby unit giving out bad advice and take a one-week course (basic education and minimum formal training) and get the position and I have been IBCLC for 16 years, worked in the hospital for the past 4, keep up my education and still lose my position to that RN!

Anyone else know of this?
Terriann Shell
Big Lake, Alaska