From:
Karen Lowell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 1 Jun 2001 09:42:57 -0700
Hello,
        I have mother's permission to post a question regarding treatment of
leaky gut syndrome in an almost four year old autistic boy.  The
diagnosis was made when he was about 3 years old after his parents
pushed for explanation of delayed language abilities, poor eye contact,
disinterest in social contact with peers, lack of independent play
skills, and other worrisome signals.
        Specific question regarding bf issues... This child was nursed for
approximately 2.5 years.  He had repeated ear infections during his
first 2 years, which declined markedly when his parents identified dairy
allergy and removed all non-human milk products from his diet.  When the
autism diagnosis was made the parents researched current thinking
regarding the role of diet in modifying autism symptoms.  A very
restricted diet (gluten and casein free, as well as restricted in many
other aspects) has helped with some of the symptoms in this child.  A
team of professionals (physicians, therapists, dieticians, etc.) is
engaged in helping monitor this child now.  The thought is that his gut
needs to heal and then they can try very well observed re-introduction
of various foods and identify the ones that make his symptoms worsen.
So, related to bf, it seems to me that offering the mother's milk (she
has a 6 month old girl and is nursing with a good supply) might help
heal the gut and restore proper balance there.
        I have searched the archives for information re: leaky gut syndrome and
autism but don't see anything that addresses this situation directly.
Forgive if I need to spend more time looking there, I am limited by a
demanding 2.5 year old in MY house and the urgency of this mother's need
for information.  I suggested that she discuss the inclusion of her bm
in the diet with her dietician, but wanted to ask this group since I
have no idea if the dietician is knowledgeable about or receptive to the
potential contribution of bm in a case like this.  Of particular use
would be articles discussing the potential of bm in a situation like
this that she could share with her dietician/pediatrician.
        Many thanks. Please reply to my personal email, as well as to to the
list if you feel it is appropriate.
Karen Lowell