From:
Sandy Hess <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 2 Sep 1997 17:45:05 -0400
When I referred to desiring to see companies having a return policy on
pump kits, I am referring to those purchasable, "complete" breast pumps
(the non-rentable type which contain motor, pumping "kits" --i.e.
collection kits, --, carry bag, etc.).  While these are nice, they are
also quite an investment.  If a breastpump company is willing to absorb
the cost of the return for a "bad fit", then it can be done.  Allowing
only a few days trial of the purchaseable pump will decrease the "I'm
saying I don't like this pump, but I've really weaned the baby" returns.

Obviously, the collection kits should not be recycled.  If the pump
motor is recyclable (depending on design), it can, (and some have been)
reconditioned and made available to special programs as "recycled pump
motors".

With guidance from LCs, detailed information on packaging, etc., it is
possible for this to work.  However, depending on how the pump motor/kit
is styled, it may be too cost-prohibitive for some companies to accept
returns and/or exchange/credit for another "model" on at least some of
their pumps.  Perhaps some pumps can be redesigned in the future to
allow this option?  I sure would hate to buy a $100 to $225 pair of
shoes, not be able to try them on, and then be told I could not return
them if they didn't "work" for me.

I do know that some LCs/rental depots/etc. have "trial" pumps available
(though not for the mother to use the expressed milk she collects when
trying out the pump), but many women are now purchasing through
traditional retail stores where this is not an option.

Does anybody have any ideas which might work?  I'm sure lurking breast
pump company employees wouldn't mind reading them.

Sandy Hess