From:
Karleen Gribble <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 5 Nov 1999 09:44:08 +1100
The toxins that we have been talking about are the fat soluble ones. These
are not all toxins but are particularly nasty since many of them can hang
around for years, generations even in the food chain. A lot of these
chemicals have been banned (although Kathy was right the US still exports
them I think).

As to vegetarians as the toxins I am talking about are the persistant fat
soluble ones they accumulate up the food chain so omnivore are still at a
greater risk.

Ruminants don't ordinarily get fat in their diet but the animals do
manufacture them themselves. The fat that you get in marbled meat usually
has come about because the animals are being fed high protein (sometimes
high fat) grain. Ruminants have a wonderful relationship with a bacteria in
one of their stomachs that means that they can break down cellulose and
basically they could live eating cardboard. Grain fed cows are overfed
hence the marbling. We don't like marbled meat in Australia. Most of our
grain fed beef goes to the US or Japan. The meant is tested before it goes
to the US for chemical levels but the standard for Aussie beef is higher
(less chemical) than for US beef interestingly, creating a trade barrier.

Karleen Gribble
B. Rur.Sc.