From:
Sonya Myles <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 30 May 2012 06:53:37 -0400
Permission to post

I am working with a mom who is exclusively breastfeeding.
Her daughter is 3 months old. Mom started menstruating again at 5 weeks postpartum
For 3 days prior to every period until 3 days after her supply drops drastically and baby is easily frustrated at the breast and wants to breastfeed all the time. So for 12 days of every 28 day cycle breastfeeding is a huge challenge. So far mom has not supplemented, but she is at the point now where she is looking to do so during this 12 day period. She has tried pumping, but does not let down for a pump, so is now looking at using formula.

I talked to her about how letting down for a pump is a learned response, how she needs to set the scene for pumping so it is as similar every day as possible, until her body figures it out. I will have her try a different pump as well in the next few days.

On a search I found a reference to low calcium and magnesium levels that may cause this, so I have advised her to increase her calcium and magnesium intake. I have also advised her to consult with a naturapath to see if they can help.

I have never helped a mom with this issue before and was hoping someone on Lactnet may have some experience with this situation. Any help is appreciated,

Many thanks,
Sonya