From:
Katie Mcgee <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 14 Dec 2006 10:04:29 -0500
As long as the autism topic is being posted, I wanted to share.  I am nursing
my toddler with autism....and it has been invaluable to both of us.  At first,
our nursing relationship baffled all the therapists and MDs who had never seen
a child with autism so connected to his mother.  I credit our bond almost
completely to breastfeeding.  As we faced the heartbreak of diagnosis and
intense treatment....nursing is our escape.  Although there is much written
about nursing babies/toddlers with other disorders, I have not seen anything
about the benefits of nursing a child with autism.  The alarming rate is one in
166 children born being on the autism spectrum, the vast majority of whom I'm
sure are weaned by the time symptoms typically appear after the first
birthday.  I am so grateful I did not wean him, and the fact that we had an
unmedicated birth is reassuring to me.  It is an unusual course the family
follows after diagnosis...with no clear direction about therapy, medications,
treatments given.  You are given no answers, no clear advice, no solid hope.
At every turn there are people willing to take huge amounts of money for
tinctures, untested therapies, herbs and meds....and the desperation and
feeling like the clock is ticking to get your child help never goes away.  I am
not surprised to find out breastmilk may greatly benefit children with autism,
and I am grateful to have a few articles to hand to new teachers and
therapists who ask me...."do you want help so he stops doing that?"  Today
please keep my sweet boy and all the dear children struggling with autism in
your thoughts and prayers.  Thank you for listening.

Katie M., RN, BSN, LLLL