From:
Rhoda Taylor <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 28 May 2010 20:01:11 -0700
"So much waste, in not attending to the basic primal needs of the mammalian young: the cost high in terms of a lifetime of insecurity and health issues." Morgan Gallagher

As someone who spends much of her life focused on the social determinants of health and the development of policy I agree with Morgan and view the discussion on military parenting from a slightly different perspective than has been the main focus of this discussion.  Society receives benefits from the military, both to the economy and for security. Society also receives a benefit from providing the best possible environment for infants and young children.

I question that it is in a country's best interest to have a significant proportion of its population experience a less than optimum start in life. The cost to the society in the long run will be dramatic and negative.  As all militaries are by necessity a reflection of the societies from which they recruit I would suggest such policies are in the long term weaken the military. They will be recruiting from a population which has not met its potential in immunity, intellect, and experiences higher rates of obesity.

An American Economist earned the Nobel Prize for Economics for his work on the long term investment costs of not investing in early childhood. I am strongly of the opinion that this research is applicable to the loss of breastfeeding.

The discussion on the separation of mother and infant during the first months of life is larger than the individual decision. The decision to provide leave/support for parenting/breastfeeding is a societal choice which impacts far beyond the individual soldier.

Rhoda Taylor, army brat, married navy (thankfully now retired)