From:
"Nathalie C." <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 3 Mar 2010 09:39:59 -0800
Dear Lactnetters,

I just got electricity back and want to thank everyone who sent me personal messages regarding the potent earthquake that we suffered last Saturday. It was horrible and the longest 90 seconds of my life. My family and house are OK.

I have been sending all the mothers I know info from WBW 2009, the Operational Guidance on Infant and Young Child Feeding in Emergencies, v2.1 from ENN and would like to know how best to communicate this information to the part of the country that has been destroyed. Karleen Gribble can you email me?

This morning I have seen a picture of a newborn baby in the newspaper, with a bottle in his mouth and the lines under the pictures were something like : this baby was born during the earthquake and his mother "lost her milk". This myth is widely believed. The appeal in the newspaper is for diapers, charcoal, water and food but no mention of milk of any sort. That for me is a good thing but yet, nobody has spoken out for breastfeeding.

I am rather far from the zone of total destruction. What is the best way that I can work from a distance and let mothers and people in general know about the importance of human milk and breastfeeding? I want to put my energy where the message has a chance to be heard. Someone suggested we print up leaflets to distribute, something very simple and to the point.

I hope some of you can chime in!

From shaken Santiago de Chile,

Nathalie Clermont LLLL