From:
Kathy Dettwyler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 22 Mar 2000 08:48:59 -0600
>>Accepted by  Pediatrics: in press
>>JmcKenna Ph.D. (University of Notre Dame)
>>Director, Mother-Baby Behavioral Sleep Laboratory
>>LGartner MD (University of Chicago)
>>Department of Pediatrics
>>
>>To The Editor:
>>We are writing to express our concern with several of the points raised in
>>the recent article by Drago and Dannenberg (Drago DA, Dannenberg AL. Infant
>>mechanical suffocation deaths in the United States, 1980-1997. Pediatrics
>>1999; 103:e59, 1). The authors suggest that the reported increase in infant
>>deaths by suffocation and "overlying" could be the result of "an increase
>>in the rate of infant-parent co-sleeping related to reported benefits,
>>including increased breastfeeding and reduction in the rate of SIDS... ."
>>They acknowledge that rates of co-sleeping are unknown and that this
>>association is theoretical. Furthermore, they provide none of the details
>>needed to support their conclusion and use "dangerous conditions"  as a
>>proxy for the act of a mother and infant  sleeping side-by-side-which is
>>universally, inherently adaptive and beneficial for both mothers-infants
>>alike in the overwhelming majority of situations.
>>      Mother-infant co-sleeping evolved to protect and feed infants throughout
>>the night ( 2). Millions of mothers worldwide know that strong emotions
>>underlie and motivate co-sleeping, even though they may be unaware of
>>co-sleeping as a biologically appropriate arrangement which, in turn
>>induces important behavioral and physiological changes in both infants and
>>mothers. These changes have been reported in extensive peer-reviewed
>>laboratory studies (3-8) and include increased use of the safe, supine
>>infant sleep position , increased breastfeeding, increased infant movement,
>>arousal and awakenings during sleep, reduced deep and increased light
>>sleep, more affectionate and protective maternal interventions, increased
>>sensitivity to the presence of the co-sleeping partner, reduced infant
>>crying, fewer (infant) obstructive apneas in deep sleep, longer infant
>>sleep, and more positive evaluations by bedsharing mothers of their
>>nighttime experiences (3-8).
>>      It has been estimated that more than half of the families in the United
>>States practice co-sleeping with infants for some period of time. Drago and
>>Dannenberg  casually dismiss the biologically important role of co-sleeping
>>when they state: "New parents may take their infants to bed with them...for
>>feeding convenience."  Catastrophic accidents in the co-sleeping
>>environment are tragic exceptions to the act of co-sleeping itself and are
>>almost always attributable to avoidable, unsafe conditions, most frequently
>>found in high risk populations where most such tragedies occur. In recent
>>years in Cook County, Illinois (Chicago), the medical examiner has found
>>that all overlying deaths were in situations in which the adult was
> [...]
-------
Katherine A. Dettwyler, Ph.D.                         email:
Anthropology Department                               phone: (409) 845-5256
Texas A&M University                                    fax: (409) 845-4070
College Station, TX  77843-4352
http://www.prairienet.org/laleche/dettwyler.html