From:
Anna Swisher <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 15 May 2003 09:08:02 -0500
Hi, Anne,

Yes, I'm familiar with this book and include it in my presentation wrt
counseling parents using scheduled feeding.  The full title is The Contented
Little Baby Book:  The Simple Secrets of Calm, Confident Parenting by Gina
Ford, 2001.

It is an incredibly stupid book with awful breastfeeding advice, including
little gems like saying that most experts advise beginning to wean b/w 4 and
6 mos., and that the AAP recommends six months, pp. 144-145.  She rec
weaning by 3 mos in some cases p.  145.  It is like the Baby Whipper,
without the marketing brilliance. The bio blurb on the back says, "Gina Ford
is a well-known maternity nurse in Great Britain, where she travels from
family to family, getting countless infants to sleep through the night and
allowing hundreds of exhausted parents to get sleep."

The AAP, WHO or similar Australian guidelines may be your best answer to
this idiocy.

I'm sure our Great Britain Lactnetters can add better feedback.
Warmly,

Anna Swisher, MBA, IBCLC
Abundant Blessings
Austin, TX