Date:
Sat, 13 Apr 2002 13:11:49 -0400
I have a very  unique situation and I need help ASAP. The mother has given me permission to post for help.
The baby was born after a seemingly uneventful labor and delivery but started having seizures and was transferred to NICU. Very neurologically impaired, slow, irregular respirations ( almost none), no suck or swallow.  When mom started to pump the first time, the milk was very dark brownish black with streaks of green. It was like this from both breasts. Looked like watery merconium. She pumped about 20 cc's. Everytime she has pumped it has been the same color with the exception of being a little lighter color in late afternoon. This morning the color is the same but the amount is decreasing. Nothing in it looks like milk or colostrum. The MD has ordered all types of cultures on it and we have decided to pump and dump until we know what is happening. The mom also is undergoing testing for many things. She said she never leaked colostrum during pregnancy. She said she did experience some breast changes during pregnancy-some increase in size. This is the first baby.
Any help in what this can possibly be would be appreciated.

Barbara Whitehead,BS, IBCLC
Eastern NC