From:
Aaron Brauer Rieke <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 8 May 1996 10:11:00 PDT
I posted last month asking for advice about helping a friend to keep her
baby nursing after a month of poor latching and sucking at the breast with
continued weight loss until formula supplementation was started.  I just
wanted to report the happy news that persistence does pay - the baby seemed
to get his act together and use his tongue more efficiently at the breast,
even despite supplementation with a bottle.  Now (at 8 weeks), he is
breastfeeding without supplementation, and gaining weight.  I appreciate
very much the responses the you sent.  This mom will need continued support
since she becomes overwhelmed very easily, but she is really proud of
herself for hanging in there and succeeding despite such pressure from
everyone else to just give it up.

Gretchen, CNM