From:
Claire Bloodgood <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 4 Dec 2004 07:42:09 -0500
On Sat, 4 Dec 2004 00:30:20 EST, Alice Ernest <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>Anyone have any experience with this disease and breastfeeding?  A mother
in
>our LLL group says that her sister has this condition, just stopped
>breastfeeding at 10 months, but wants to get pregnant one more time.  Hope
it is spelled
>right.  I'm really enjoying the DHA discussion, frustrating that it is.
>Thanks to all who answered my question about amalgam fillings.  What
interesting
>information.
>
>Alice Ernest IBCLC-RLC (10 years)
>Simpsonville, SC

I did a Google search on epidermalysis bullosa and got 10 hits.  Changed
the 'a' to an 'o' and got 75,000.

I found this -- <http://www.emedicine.com/derm/topic5.htm>
"Causes: Symptoms of AE occur within the first few months after birth and
tend to appear shortly after discontinuation of breastfeeding. This
phenomenon has led many to believe that human milk has a beneficial ligand,
which bovine milk lacks. Evans and Johnson postulated picolinate as the
ligand; Lonnerdal et al suggested citric acid. Cousins and Smith proposed
that the protein concentration of human milk affects zinc bioavailability.
The nature of the metabolic defect continues to be debated. However, 2 new
fibroblast proteins that are absent in the fibroblasts of patients with AE
have recently been discovered. These proteins may be responsible for
decreased zinc uptake and abnormal zinc metabolism"

As we might have expected, breastfeeding provides protection for the infant
with the condition.

and this -- <http://health.allrefer.com/health/epidermolysis-bullosa-
info.html>
"Epidermolysis bullosa is a group of inherited disorders in which massive
blistering of the skin develops in response to minor trauma."

Which sounds like breastfeeding would be very difficult for the mother with
this condition, unless it can be kept under control.

-Claire Bloodgood, IBCLC