From:
Karleen Gribble <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 25 Apr 2003 15:15:47 +1000
Hi Anne,
I agree with you that sometimes there can be too much. I really think that
post-birth mothers need time and space alone with their baby and for others
to do the other stuff that is necessary for life. I know that one of the
best things I when we adopted out daughter was to tell everyone (before we
left) that we were going to be hibernating and not doing anything for a few
months so don't visit but practical offers of support were welcome. It was
necessary in terms of attachment and reducing stimulation for Ling but also
good for relactating and getting breastfeeding going.
The best stuff on relactation/induced lactation is on the net. The best
document in my opinion is the WHO document
http://www.who.int/child-adolescent-health/New_Publications/NUTRITION/Relact
ation_EN.html (and I found the other day it is alo on the net in French)
Darillyn has a few different article on the web and if you do a search on
her name you'll find them. I had an article published in Breastfeeding
Review a couple of years ago.
There is one book written on adoptive breastfeeding but I personally don't
think thatt it is very good.
There are some really really interesting papers on the subject but most you
need to dig in libraries for. Here's one off the net
http://www.indianpediatrics.net/feb2002/feb-173-178.htm
There are lots of gaps in research on the subject. Darillyn and I are
working on filling one (breastfeeding older adopted babies- still looking
for participants so if anyone knows a mother who has attempted, whether
successfully or not, to breastfeed a baby placed at 4 months or older we'd
love to hear from them).

Karleen Gribble
Australia