From:
Fiona Dionne <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 25 Aug 2003 18:27:48 -0400
> After gradually working her down to one nursing a day, I
> finally had to tell her that it was "broken".  About a year later, when
> I asked her what she remembered about nursing, she said she remembered
> that, "Nap (her code word) was broken."   It just about broke my heart.

I have a friend here whose 2nd son she nursed until he was 3.5.  His
weaning story (a long one) is rather sad too.  When he was close to
2.5 his mom asked him when he'd stop nursing (he was fairly verbal I
guess) and he said "when I'm ready".  Not long after, she decided
she'd had enough and started trying to wean him, gently.  The
nighttime nursing before bed was all that was left I believe, and she
shortened the nursing times saying it hurt her sometimes.  Eventually,
just past 2.5, she said "next week we'll stop ok?" and counted down
the week.  He went to sleep without any troubles the first night, and
the subsequent nights, but her little boy went from a happy-go-lucky
child to a whiney miserable little boy.  About a week later his mom
asked what the problem was, and he said he didn't know.  She asked if
he wanted to nurse and he said no and burst into tears.  AFter much
talking, she figured out that the reason he didn't want to nurse was
b/c he was hurting his mommy.  :-(  She too said it just about broke
her heart to hear this from her little boy.  So she said he could
nurse again, but she might cut the nursing sessions short sometimes,
and he would have to be careful.

Fast forward to a year later...around 3.5 he had been nursing less and
less and some nights didn't nurse.  He eventually stopped all together
and about a week or 2 after his last time nursing his mom said "so,
how does it feel to not nurse anymore?".  His answer was:  "I did tell
you mom, that I would stop when I was ready".  ;-)

Fio.