From:
Cherie Price <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 26 Apr 2005 22:04:44 -0400
Wise Ones,
I have a motherbaby couple that I would appreciate your help with.  I am a hospital based LC and have Mom's permission to post.  Parents brought baby into our office for an out-patient consultation on day 3.  Mom's 3rd baby, 1st two were breastfed approximately one year each.  Dad is one of our local pediatricians and a big supporter of Bfdg.  I helped them with some latching issues with their first baby about 5 years ago.  This baby born at another hospital, vag. delivery, with a midwife attending.  Baby has Turner Syndrome, parents were aware prenatally.  Also has a cleft of the soft palate.  Birthwt. 6-8, down to 6-0. Parents state that baby was very fussy for the first several days, seemed to be in pain, so Dad medicated baby for reflux with Zantac which seemed to help. (Literature seems to indicate that reflux is common with Turner's).  In my office, baby was very fussy at the breast, seemed very frustrated.  We were able to latch baby briefly, but lots of clicking noted.  (Probably due to cleft?)  Dad dripped pumped colostrum to corner of baby's mouth with syringe and as long as he dripped it baby would suck but could not sustain a latch without a lot of help from the 3 of us and a lot of clicking.  We did that until we used up Mom's supply of pumped milk.  Baby sucked decently on digital exam but I noted a very narrow, high palate, also common with Turner's from the information I have found.  Parents have been using a combination of finger feeding, Haberman, dripping milk on the breast,  and skin-to-skin.  Mom feels finger feeding and the Haberman are not helping baby learn to feed at the breast but at that time I felt baby just needed the food and sucking because she had not been very successful at the breast before.  On day 6, baby seemed more content and was peeing and pooping well according to Mom, but Mom is very frustrated.  Understandably, she wants this baby on the breast!  I have mentioned trying the SNS but she has been reluctant as she also feels that trying these different things is confusing baby.  On searching the archives I found one case that seemed to benefit from Cranio-Sacral Therapy so Mom made an appointment for a home visit for yesterday and I have not heard back yet.
If anyone has worked with Turner's and/or has some advice on helping this baby be more successful at the breast, I'd greatly appreciate it!  I've learned a lot from the archives and for those of you not familiar with Turner's, it's very interesting!

Thanks for your help!
Cherie Price, PA, IBCLC
Virginia Beach, VA