From:
Jo-Anne Elder <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 17 Jul 2000 21:32:45 -0500
re:

"Date:    Sun, 16 Jul 2000 11:52:06 -0400
From:    T Pitman <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Re: inductions
She has very fast labours, and the doctor was concerned that she
wouldn't make it to the hospital on time."  and

"Date:    Sun, 16 Jul 2000 15:47:49 -0400
From:    beadie cambardella <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: inductions social and otherwise

I learned a while
back that the universal time to have a baby is 4:17 AM ( spontaneous
with no
interventions)  Maybe there was a  time when we were more nocturnal -
avoiding the predators."

Took me a while, but I couldn't resist replying to this one. With Naomi,
my doctor suggested I give birth in "a controlled environment" -- at
least he was honest! -- because of my rapid labours. Thanks to Teresa's
coaching, I got up my (gulp) courage to wait until after the due date,
but only after agreeing to an induction during my biophysical,
reassuring the nurse that this was fine, going home and trying
everything in the book to go into labour, and finally calling back and
leaving a message with his receptionist. After reading Best Evidence
once again and talking to Teresa, I managed to call and discuss it with
him after being 10 days post dates (actually more according to my dates,
which I knew well) and discuss with him and you know, he was very
reasonable once I asked him why he wanted to do this, by what method and
why, etc. He then scheduled me for several days later, and this time I
felt that I had consented, which was my real goal: to make my own
choice.
Fortunately, though, Naomi had a better idea, and arrived at 2:05 a.m.
well before the 9:00 "convenient" scheduled time, after 45 minutes of
labour.
My point: Everyone ended up treating me very respectfully. The only hard
part, really, was believing I had a right to choose how I wanted to do
it.
Jo-Anne, mother of Naomi (Aug. 5, 2000) and six other breastfed,
spirited, creative, strong-willed, bright children, many of whose births
were tampered with.