From:
Marti Lyn Ensrud <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 18 Oct 1997 19:10:05 -0500
Dear Lactnetters,
     My name is Marti Lyn Ensrud and I am a nursing student at the
University of North Dakota.  I have been on Lactnet for approximately one
month.  I have been until this point simply observing, and I have yet to
see the following topic discused.
     I am interested in the rights of fathers in respect to the choice of
breastfeeding, and their say about the issue in the family.  During one
of my OB clinicals, I had a scheduled c-section client.  It was change of
shift time and the night nurse asked the mother if she had made a
decision about breastfeeding.  She replied "Oh, I don't think I am going
to.  I have a two and a half year old at home, and I really had a
difficult time getting her to latch on".  The nurse left it at that.
After the section when the mother was still in the recovery room, the
father and I returned to the nursery with the baby.  A different nurse
then asked the father if he knew whether or not the mom was going to
breastfeed.  He replied "You bet she is going to.  I have read up on the
subject, and I know how good the colostrum is for the baby.  That is what
I want for my baby".
     Later, when I went into the client room, the mother was reluctantly
trying to feed, and the nurse was trying to help to get the baby to latch
on.  The mother kept saying "I just don't think this is going to work.  I
don't really want to do this".  The father continued to say "I want my
baby to get breastmilk".
     I have also discussed this topic with one of my clinical
instructors.  Another student in one of my clinicals has an expectant
mother who is a nurse, but doesn't want to breastfeed.  The father is a
doctor, and wants the mother to breastfeed.
     My question is how does on treat these situations?  Where does a
professionals advocacy lie?  I believe that breastfeeding or even pumping
can and will only work if the mother is will to do so.  My problem is
that, yes the mother and newborns are our clients in OB, but if we are
continuely working towards "family centered care", and "family centered
interventions", we must realize and recognize that there is another
client for us to care for -- the father.  If we as medical professionals
are really true advocated for breastfeeding, then how do we intergrate
these interventions for the client who wants them - even if that client
isn't the mother?  What are a father's rights if he is informed and only
wants the best for his baby?
     In my review of literature on the subject I have found that most
often fathers are at the top of the list of top supporters with
breastfeeding (Bar-Yam, & Darby, L., 1997).  It has also been found that
the decision to breastfeed is usually made early in pregnancy.  It is also
stated that there is a strong association between a father having a
positive attitude about breastfeeding and a mothers intention to do so
(Bar-Yam, & Darby, L., 1997).  Also it has been found that fathers' who
planned on their partner breastfeeding had more positive attitudes
towards it (Freed, Fraley, & Schanler, 1992), and  (Freed, & Fraley,
1993).  It has also been found that there needs to be more systematic
research for fathers perspectives on breastfeeding (Gamble & Morse, 1993).
     I have yet to find much information or studies discussing the
fathers paternal rights to have his child breastfed.  What do you as the
professionals feel is the father's rights?  Is catching the issue early
and informing both parents on the benefits the best and only way to deal
with this issue?  Also, have any of you come across this issue and how
have you handled it?

Thank You - Marti Lyn Ensrud
University of North Dakota College of Nursing

Bar-Yam, N. & Darby, L. (1997).  Fathers and Breastfeeding:  A Review of
     the Literature.  Journal of Human Lactation, 13 (1), 45-50.

Freed, G., Fraley, J. & Schanler, R. (1992).  Attitudes of expectant
     fathers regarding breastfeeding.  Pediatrics, 90:  224-227.

Freed, G. & Fraley, J.  (1993).  Effect of expectant mothers' feeding
     plan on prediction of fathers' attitudes regarding breastfeeding.
     American Journal of Perinatol, 10:  300-303.

Gamble, D. & Morse, J.  (1993).  Fathers of breastfed infants.  Journal
     of Obstetric, Gynecologic, and Neonatal Nursing 22 (4), 358-365.