From:
Patrica Young <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 6 May 2001 23:08:35 -0400
Dear Pam, I am curious, how soon after delivery did you get to breastfeed
each of your babies?  Any lengthy time  of separation?

I've said before (in epidural discussions on Lactnet) when I was in
Detroit, one hosp had a 75% c-sec rate, but the rule was baby didn't go to
nursery until after 1st sucessful breastfeed (all else being normal with
mom and baby).  we didn't see  all that much trouble with latch the next
day.  I came from an area in SNJ where average time to breast after
delivery was 4-6 hours, 10 + for c-sec (& they frequently -almost always-
got a bottle first).  We had terrible latch problems post epidurals.  I've
always thought it was the early imprinting that made the difference in what
I saw in both hospitals.  Sincerely, Pat in SNJ