From:
Leigh Erdos <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 3 Nov 2008 13:10:20 -0600
The consideration regarding the WHO violation is not about the pumps. We, as
Lactation Consultants know that it is more necessary than not for a variety
of reasons. It is about the marketing of bottles:

Article 2. Scope of the Code

The Code applies to the marketing, and practices related thereto, of the

following products: breast-milk substitutes, including infant formula; other
milk

products, foods and beverages, including bottlefed complementary foods, when

marketed or otherwise represented to be suitable, with or without
modification, for

use as a partial or total replacement of breast milk; feeding bottles and
teasts. It also

applies to their quality and availability, and to information concerning
their use.

5.4 Manufacturers and distributors should not distribute to pregnant women
or

mothers or infants and young children any gifts of articles or utensils
which may

promote the use of breast-milk substitutes or bottle-feeding.

7.2 Information provided by manufacturers and distributors to health
professionals

regarding products within the scope of this Code should be restricted to
scientific and

factual matters, and such information should not imply or create a belief
that bottlefeeding

is equivalent or superior to breast-feeding. It should also include the

information specified in Article 4.2.

It is all about the marketing! Having it available is one thing, putting it
out in advertising is another.

Leigh Erdos, IBCLC, RLC

Chicago, IL USA