Date:
Sat, 20 Jun 1998 08:10:27 -0500
     First, why are most hospitals insistent that an LC be an RN?
>Occupational therapists and speech therapists and physical therapists are not
>expected to be RNs.

I think that it is territorial.

And I think that it is a continuation of the inappropriate medicalization
of infant feeding.

>It scares me to think that anyone in most of our United States could walk
around
>with an LC shingle, and there would be no legal recourse until they committed
>a serious level of damage...    Due to the lack of regulation of our
>profession, we still have a lot of moms getting tacky breastfeeding
>information also.

As we well know from experience (!), licensing and regulation have very
little to do with competence, being well informed, or one's being subject
to legal (or even peer) recourse for giving hazardous health advice.
Patricia Gima, IBCLC
Milwaukee

mailto:[log in to unmask]