Date:
Mon, 15 Nov 2010 16:08:22 EST
Hello Wise Ones,

I often marvel at the timing of posts. I just got a call from a mom who is
due in 2 months, whose OB just said to her "so we're not breastfeeding this
time  right?" because of the  time she had with her first. It sounds like
pretty  much everything went off track: C- section, severe body fluid
imbalance after  all meds and hydrations ( her hands were swollen, and swollen up
to and  into her abdomen), baby taken away for 12 hours after a second of
"holding",  baby held by mom only a few minutes total during her entire 3 days
in hospital,  mom told to pump colostrum ( and was discouraged she "didn't
get anything"),  then went home, baby didn't latch, mom was told to wear
breast shields for her  flat nipples, but she wore them 24/7 and got mastitis
twice, baby never  really latched, she pumped for a few months, but then
didn't give the baby  her milk because the baby tested "allergic" to cow, soy,
corn, wheat, and  maybe something I forgot. It also turns out during the long
separations the baby was cup fed cow's milk based formula over and  over.
So, after all that, moms blames  breastfeeding issues on her  flat nipples
and her first child being oversensitive. It seems like  there is a lot that
could be better this time with more guidance. One thing no  one mentioned to
her was eliminating or cutting down during pregnancy on the  foods her first
baby couldn't tolerate and working on healing her own gut  issues. She said
no one mentioned this to her. So I did. In your experience, has  this made a
difference ( not that we could always tell or know for sure) with a  second
pregnancy/baby?

Thanks for any guidance,
Peace,
Judy