From:
Geraldine Cahill <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 14 Dec 2006 14:24:43 +0000
Hi Everyone

I just want to introduce myself...I have been lurking for the past month or
so and have really been enjoying the discussion and the learning.

I am an antenatal teacher(NCT Trained) - 8 years - and breastfeeding
counsellor - 14 years -with Cuidiu - Irish Childbirth Trust working in Cork.
I have 4 children aged 19, 18, 15 and 12 all of whom were breastfed with
various levels of success - lack of knowledge (my part and professionals),
lack of support, tongue-tie and enzyme deficiency being my main problems,
though I did get there in the end and my now 12 year old weaned herself at
age two after a very positive experience.

I am just about to start my first tutoring of a new group and have also been
studying for the last year for my IBCLC which I hope to sit next July.

Ireland has the lowest breastfeeding rates in Europe and sometimes it feels
like we are fighting a losing battle - being on lactnet has made me realise
that pretty much everyone comes up against the same sort of barriers though
so thanks for the support.

Over the last few days I have noticed a couple of times that people were
asking that this or that might be studied, and I thought that a group called
"thinkwell "might be of interest to some of you....in October I attended the
Cochrane Consumer Colloquium which was held this year in Dublin.  At that
event we were told about a new group called 'Thinkwell'- The international
network for knowledge about well-being.  Basically it is about consumers
having a say in what is being studied - and then also taking part in studies
ourselves.  I have an outline programme that I can send to people offlist if
anyone wants it.  They are just at the stage of building up an extensive
database and it would be wonderful if lots of 'breastfeeding' people signed
up.

Geraldine Cahill
AT, BfC
Cuidiu - ICT