From:
Janet Simpson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 3 Feb 1999 19:33:46 -0800
Hi All,
If I read this correctly, the seminar was most likely a CLE class.  It is
probably the same class that I took to become a CLE.   The two well known
women (Chele Marmet and Ellen Shell taught my seminar) stated in my seminar
(and at other seminars they have taught in this area, that as a CLE
(Certified Lactation Educator) you are an EDUCATOR not a LACTATION
CONSULTANT and therefore your  job is HANDS OFF (caps for emphasis only).
CLEs are educators of breastfeeding, not Lactation Consultants - and they
made sure to stress this very important difference strongly.  I think it is
an important distinction.  It is one reason why I do not do hands on work -
I have not been supervised and taught how to recognise things visually that
I may know a lot about by theory.  (Have the theory but not the clinical
practice)

There are no one week seminars for someone to become a Lactation Consultant
that I know of.

I respectfully suggest that the supervisor contact the women who taught this
class and ask for clarification immediately.  It sounds as if someone is
terribly confused and needs to be set straight right away.

Jay
Jay Simpson, CLE
Sacramento, California, West Coast, USA
"No Miracles performed here, just a lot of love and hard work."