From:
Cathy Bargar <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 30 Sep 1999 21:06:15 -0400
Well, before I start my "news fast", I'll just share this one more gripe! I
was reading a recent issue of Newsweek today, and the cover story was about
how intrauterine factors can affect the later health status of the fetus
(well, I guess by the time they develop high BP or breast cancer, they're
past the fetus stage). How, for example, a high birth-wt. baby girl may be
predisposed to breast cancer because of "extra" estrogen recieved
prenatally. Or that "Undernutrition during the fetus's first trimester makes
obesity more likely in adulthood...".

Interesting scientifically for sure, and it certainly makes sense, but (of
course!) what's the big sidebar in the article? You guessed it - it's called
"What Moms Can Do Now", with a lovely sillhouette of a pregnant woman. It's
steps women can take to safeguard their baby's future health, including:
preconception care, meal plan (eat about 300 "extra" calories/day), types of
food to eat (lots of carbs, fruits, vegies, low-fat dairy products, lean
meats), weight gain (about 25-35 lbs.), drugs ("ask your doctor",
"antidepressants can be risky" caption under a pic of Prozac capsules,
caffeine (limit to "a couple of cups a day"), exercise, stress ("reduce
it...try cutting back on work hours or joining a yoga class"), seat belts
(use them), alcohol ("doctors urge temperance during pregnancy"), smoking
(quit), STDs (get tested).

OK, fine, we've heard all this before, this is not news. All good stuff; I
don't have any real quarrel with these recs, and nothing really new.

But what gets me is that no punches seem to have been pulled here - no
pussyfooting around about "not making women feel guilty" as we get
*constantly*  about giving people the straight facts on the importance of
breastfeeding. I think of the many women I've worked with over the years for
whom following just *one* of these recommendations seems like too much to
ask, who can't be persuaded to eat a vegetable, let alone quit smoking. Or
"reduce stress". And smoking....don't even go there. But we tell them this
stuff anyway, over and over again, to the point where many women just tune
out anything we say. But tell women that breastfeeding for the first year of
life can have a remarkable and long-lasting impact on their child's health
over the lifespan? Oh no, we can't do that, they might feel "guilty"! Where
is the NOW leadership standing up and saying that these recommendations can
be used to oppress women?

Etc., etc....

CathyBargar RN, IBCLC Ithaca NY