From:
Phyllis Adamson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 28 Apr 2002 10:11:07 -0700
I asked this of the HBLC group twice and received no response from anyone.
So I'm posting to you.

I work in a govt hosp in the US that averages 450 births a month. In
gathering Initiation data, I also noted #'s and %'s of babies discharged
(escaped?) with no recorded feed of formula or fortifier. In the last year,
we have (quoted from memory) 3-4 months of 0% exclusive BF'd babies, and
one really unusual month of 8%! Mostly it's around 2% or 2.5%. Our
Initiation rate dances around 75-85% Range: at least one recorded
breastfeed or feeding of EBM, to exclusive BF. We divide them in 5
categories: excl BF, mostly BF (at least 2:1), B&B, mostly ABM (at least
1:2) & excl ABM. We count any BF that is "topped off" as both BF & ABM.
Same with EBM with HMF added.

We are about to open up a new area of the hospital to couplet care. This is
for moms with uncomplicated deliveries & Level I babies. After 1-2 hours in
LDR, babies will go to Transition Nursery, then to mom in couplet care. On
that floor, there will be a small nursery for procedures & emergency equip,
but babies will stay w/mom in her room. This is a great advance for us!
There will be no formula in crib drawers, but it will be available should
mom ask for it. That should be the signal to call an LC. Hope the RN is
knowledgeable about BF when we aren't there.

Our Chief Neo has told us he expects to see the Exclusive BF rates increase
with this new change. We would expect it also, but this is on the line of a
Direct Order!

Question: Can anyone share their Excl BF rates so we have something to
comprare to? I don't need the name of your hosp, but would like some
description, like Private or Govt, average # deliveries, BFHI (or trying to
be, or never will be), and any other helpful comments you can offer?

We LCs have a private joke about trying to make it to a consult "faster
than an flying formula bottle". Too often, we don't. We also have too many
staff who consider HM/ABM equivalent, and we have never yet been allowed to
hold mandatory BF training. There is always some crisis, usually involving
prep'ing for, meeting with, & recovering from, some Govt inspection agency.

--- Phyllis Adamson, IBCLC