From:
Beverley Walker <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 30 Oct 1997 21:06:33 +1100
Three of our major teaching hospitals redesigned their Nicu units to
include motel like accommodation, cooking facilities and free carparking
access especially for rural couples.

There was an attempt at cubicles designed by "non-promoting b/f" staff but
there was no room for LC's or the mother and the baby with family or anyone
else and they were so hot that the mothers preferred to be out in the open
with other mothers and other staff.

Privacy for initial attempts is provided but many women seem to be happy to
breastfeed publicly which is a good sing that breastfeeding is "normal"?.

Many of our hospitals encourage the couples to come in daily or all day and
many hospitals encourage a day's stay before going home with the baby.

Pink seems to be the favourite colour with soft furnishings and floral
prints.
bevw