From:
cillakat <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 11 Jul 2007 08:36:46 -0400
 <<Does this sound like a good plan?:

-Work on getting latch more asymmetric and absolutely as much areola as baby
can take.>>

yes...chin on breast, then bottom lip down deeply, then top lip going
on just as  nipple goes in.   with smaller breasts, she should likely
only have 1-2 fingers under her breast or they will take up too much
room, making his latch shallow....

<<
Nurse and compress only while baby is actively sucking, them pump
(immediately after feeding?  one hour after?)

-Spoon or cup feed EBM to supplement (we really hope to avoid formula since
dad has many food allergies)

hmmm.   this is typically exactly the kind of situation in which i'd
avoid pumping.....but since she wants to avoid abm, it seems like the
way to go.  usually, i avoid pumping if baby nurses at all b/c it's
such a hassle for the mom and really, i can't imagine how this mom
will fit pumping in with all the other thigns on her plate.

typically, with a baby like this i'd optimize latch, get mom going on
domperidone or sufficient dose of herbs frequently, and get mom going
with a lactaid.   i know the general feeling about that here, but my
experience is very different.  it seems that mom catches my
enthusiasm, and i'm very clear about the learning curve - while
remaining excited and hopeful.  Also clear about avoiding the time
consuming issues with pumping.  So her milk supply is at least held
steady by some nursing and the herbs/meds....then as baby gets better
at nursing/issues are fixed, amount of supplement decreases while
supply increases again....toss the supplement, back to full
breastfeeding.

If the path is less clear to me, I present the options more evenly
giving pros and cons of both.

Melanie writes:
<<For me, as a homeschooling mother of six children at the time, it was much
easier to do whatever it took to keep him direct-nursing.  It was easier to
sit in my recliner all day with him than it would have been to pump.  In the
recliner, I could keep teaching my other children.  My teen sons would have
been very uncomfortable with me pumping (they don't mind nursing at all) and
that would have taken me away from the other children everytime I had to
pump.  The bottles and whatnot I knew very little about using daily like
that would have been a big burden, too.>>

I find that to be the case over and over and over with moms...both
moms of many and moms with their first baby.

On another note......i doubt this is at all related to an oversupply
issue.....he'd be gaining more.   it could be somewhat a lactose issue
b/c of the inefficient suckling never really getting other than what's
already there waiting  (i hate to call it foremilk since that's such a
misnomer).

However, i doubt those are the issues.....I'm betting the farm on
latch issues and food intolerances.

:)