From:
Lesley Smythe <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 8 Mar 2008 17:50:37 -0800
Hi

I have not posted here before but have benefieted tremendously from all the interesting discussion which takes place and am learning all the time from you all.

I have been working with a baby ( I have the mother's permission to post) who is now 12 wks old. Her weight gain was slow at first but improved by week seven and has been average since. She is very alert and can be fussy to feed at times for no apparent reason. I am unsure whether she is a high need baby or if there is some underlying reason for her fussy bahaviour.

Her stools are normal in colour and consitency and her milk intake appears well within the range of normal. Positioning and attachment seem ok and and most of the time her mum is comfortable during feeds. On occasions she will pull on the nipple and her mum will then start again to get the possition right . When she is fussy she arches her back and turns her face away while crying hard. This happens as the mother is trying to latch her on.  At the moment her mum is dealing with this by backing off and doing other things with her for a while but during the time she is irritable and difficult to comfort. It seems like she is needing the comfort of nursing but for some reason just won't.

The mother has a strong let-down and is feeding for two to three hours at a time on one side and then switching sides.  This was because  initially I felt that there may have been an oversupply issue but that is all settled now. She waits for baby to let go of her own accord and offers to nurse her again if she doesn't seem satisfied.

Just yesterday while holding the baby with her chin resting on my hand I felt a clicking sensation coming through her chin. She was awake and experimenting with her tomgue so I am unsure whether it was just a click that went with her sucking her tongue or whether the click came from her jaw. The mother has noticed this same clicking on a number of occasions as well. I would really appreciate any thoughts you may have on this. The mum is a very responsive mother and works really hard to keep her baby happy and content but is finding her fussy behaviour pretty wearing at the moment.

With thanks

Lesley