From:
laurie wheeler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 20 Jul 2000 08:41:33 PDT
Peg
I think the mom's supply is low. You did not mention the baby's birth wt nor
current wt nor the frequency of the mom's pumping, however 1 - 1.5 oz per
pumping at 10 days may not be enough. The baby may not be getting even that
much during the 3-4 x breastfeeds and then if he does not feed at night,
this is very problematic. Does she pump at nite? Is the baby having lots of
wets and especially stools? Has he been jaundiced?
Here's what I would do:
Weigh the baby right away if this has not been done, calculate the amt of
milk the baby needs (check archives for this) and feed him that amount or
more. Consider doing a pre and post feed wt or several of these (check
archives for discussion of pro and con of this procedure), recommend mom
pump with hospital grade pump every 2 hrs if possible and feed to baby with
a nursing supplementer, feed baby every 2 hrs Around the clock (I will be
surprised if the baby has not lost wt). Work on best positions to latch
baby. I have found that very large breasted moms need a positon where
gravity helps drain the milk, and be sure breast is not pressing on baby's
chest and impeding his breathing. There are lots of posts in archives on
supporting large breasts with rolls, slings, etc. Perhaps side lying
position would work. I would act fast to get the baby gaining, and to
preserve the milk supply. Good luck.

Laurie Wheeler, RN, MN, IBCLC
Violet Louisiana, s.e. USA