From:
"Julie S. Brill" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 23 Jul 1995 12:11:58 -0400
Hello All!
My name is Julie Brill and I'm a childbirth educator in Massachusetts. I've
been reading lactnet since May, mostly as a lurker, but I have posted 4-5
messages. I would like to be an lc one day. (When I grow up?) I tea
breastfeeding prep. classes and have done some breastfeeding counseling, but
I'm still miles away from having enough hours to sit for the exam. I'm not an
rn--do folks have suggestions for me on getting enough hours?
I'm considering the lactation consultant home study course put out by
Breastfeeding Support Consultants in Chalfont, PA. Their program is 300
contact hours which equals 1000 practice hours towards the exam. Is there
anyone out there who's been through the program or is currently studying with
them? Or anyone who's been through another program they'd recommend (or warn
against)? Please email me privately if that's more appropriate.
Thanks in advance,
Julie Brill, CCE
P.S. I always ask folks in my childbith classes how they were fed as infants
during our "feeding the baby" discussion. Last week, one woman said that she
was allergic to breast (??!!) milk and formula and so from the time she was
two weeks old her mother fed her tea and peanutbutter on the recommendation
of their dr.! Have you all ever heard of anything so crazy? How was she able
to digest the peanut butter? (And why didn't she choke on it?) And tea?! Tea
is dehydrating. This mom can't be more than 20 years old so this happened
pretty recently too . . . Mishigas!