From:
Vishakha S Patel <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 22 Mar 2000 13:17:10 -0600
Hello,
My name is Vishakha Patel. I am a Junior 2 nursing student at the
University of North Dakota. On my OB clinical, my assigned client was a
cigarette smoker. She planned to breastfeed her baby. In my
client-teaching plan, I wanted to include the risks of smoking on a
breastfed infant. For example, chemicals from cigarettes can be
transmitted to her infants from the environment and through breast milk
(Kauffman et al, 1999).
Dr. Becker et al (1999) pointed to a recent study that discovered children
exposed to second-hand smoke in the home are more likely to take up
smoking. Dr. Becker also noted that breastfeeding by mothers who smoke
increase the Nicotine exposure of infants. Breastfed infants of smoking
mothers had five times higher levels of urinary cotinine than
non-breastfed infant whose mothers smoked; and cotinine levels were higher
in infants of smoking mothers than non-smoking mothers. Kirchner
(1998) concluded that breastfed infants of mothers who smoke have urine
cotinine level ten folds higher than bottle-fed infants whose mothers
smoked. According to Kauffman et al (The committee on drugs), drug abuse
like Nicotine (cigarette smoking), contraindicated during
breast-feeding. Because it can cause shock, vomiting, diarrhea, rapid
heart rate, restlessness, decreased milk production in the breast fed
infants.
        Since I was able to find all this information, I am wondering if
anyone out there
 would have had this checked and what percentage of mothers in population
do you see smoking while they breast-fed their infants. I also would like
to know the method used to teach mothers about this type of risks. I would
appreciate your information on this kind of a situation.
Thank you, Vishakha Patel, College of Nursing Student, University of North
Dakota

Becker, A.B., Manfreda, J., Ferguson, A.C., Dimich-Ward, H., Watson, W.T.,
& Chan-Yeung, Moira (1999). Breast-feeding and Environmental Tobacco Smoke
Exposure. Archives of Pediatrics & Adolescent Medicine, v153 i7, p.689.

Dunley, R. (1997, August 2), Smoking ruins breast milk. National News- The
Ottawa Citizen.
Web: http://www.ottawacitizen.com/national/970802/1030602.html.

Kauffman, R. E., Banner, J. L., Berlin, C. M., Blumer, J. L., Gorman,
R. L., Lambert, G. H., & Wilson G. S. (1994). The Transfer of Drugs and
Other Chemicals Into Human Milk. American Academy of Pediatrics, v 93, no
1, p. 137-50

Kirchner, J.T. (1998). Breast Feeding and Mothers Who Smoke: Infant
Exposure. American Family Physician, v58 i8, p.1843.