Date:
Thu, 18 Sep 1997 07:55:28 -0500
I cannot help but agree with Kathleen Auerbach in emphasizing that it is
the statements, and only incidentally the persons who are saying those,
that are being criticized.

I also agree with Dr. Narum that some people will be offended
nevertheless.  That's too bad, and I think that those people who are
offended should ask themselves "why am I so offended because certain
people in my profession are criticized?"  Names are never used.  To whom
is our first loyalty?  To our profession or to our patients?  I have no
hesitation in saying it is to our patients.  I think this is the
problem; that many health professionals see an attack on one of their
members as an attack on all.  I disagree.  No profession lacks bad
apples.  If physicians do or say stupid things, they should be called up
on the carpet for it.  Bringing out this information emphasizes the poor
education on breastfeeding that most physicians *and* other health
professionals receive.

Finally, I would disagree that it is the physician who has the final
responsibility.  It is the parents.

Jack Newman, MD, FRCPC