From:
Mary Kay Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 2 Mar 1999 14:38:43 -0600
I have received an inquiry from a mom who has suffered from Reflex
Sympathetic
Dystrophy for seven years prior to her pregnancy. She says it causes
"indescribable
pain" as it causes the joints in her upper body to swell. Her meds have
included Xanax, Trazadone, Prozac and Ibuprofen. She has also suffered
extreme depression and muscle spasms. The sx disappeared during
pregnancy
and nursing. She is still nursing her 13 month old. She is searching for

someone who may be interested in "doing a study" on this situation. Her
questions include: 1) is there a relationship between the changes during

pregnancy and lactation that can cause the absence of symptoms and if
so,
is there a way to duplicate those changes after lactation has ended and
2) is it possible to lactate for the rest of her life? I've addressed
the
possible relationship between the hormones of pregnancy that cause
cartilage
flexibility and the possible effects of long term induced lacation. She
is also interested in medications that may duplicate this situation.
She is desperate for help and answers and I have her permission to post
this to Lactnet. If anyone has input on this situation, PLEASE share
it. You can send private emails to me at [log in to unmask] or
Thanks in advance
Mary Kay Smith, CLE, IBCLC
Romeoville, IL near Chicago